Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My Work

My adventure of a stay at home mom continues and it has been a whole year! It's hard to believe that I worked outside the home from the time Brady was 3 months - 18 months but I did and it's what makes me realize and always remember just how sweet these days at home are. Even when the dog is crazy and the kids are crazy and I'm crazy, I still love my job. I NEVER knew what it was like to love your job until very recently. People often talk about loving their job and over the years I thought maybe I loved my jobs too...I could not have been more wrong. That right there...the fact that I "thought" I loved my job is evidence that I SO DID NOT love my job. Ever date anyone you "thought" you loved...right.

So I'm pretty sure I loved my stay at home job since day one, however, the revelation of, "this is what it must feel like to love your job" didn't hit me until about February. I remember it was a cold snowy day and me and Brady got up early to go babysit our friend, Samantha. I was driving down the road with my little guy in the back seat and I thought, "Wow, this is great - WOHA, I LOVE MY JOB!" Sounds kinda silly, but once I realized that was what was happening, my job got even more fun and I take it very seriously. I'm always volunteering for new projects like researching non-toxic products, how to make your own cleaning supplies, how to eat healthier, recipes, you name it. Being home affords me the time to look into these things more closely for my family and in turn I think it makes a huge difference in our physical and emotional health.

"Work" is a funny thing. I think about it often. It's so many things. It's not just a 9-5, or doing what you studied in college. It's volunteering, it's parenting, it's also a 9-5 and doing what you studied in college. It's how we feel productive. How we contribute to society, or even how we think we are contributing to society. It's a major force in our lives, all of us, and whether it's paid or unpaid, it's part of our story and a huge part of each of our journeys. My "work" has been so many things but my recent work is so different than I ever thought work could be. It's parenting, mothering, nurturing, cleaning, cooking, creating in countless ways, entertaining, researching, volunteering, consulting for my friend's company, motivating, loving, living and being. It's so much more than all of that but that's what comes to mind presently. I love my work, even when I'm cranky and I seem like I hate my work, I'm fooling you.

No comments:

Post a Comment